Thursday 25 June 2015

Cable Medallion

I finished the 10th square this evening. I used the cable medallion pattern from Melissa Leapman's Tweed Hoodie from her "Continuous Cables" book.

The cable pattern had 37 sts so I didn't need to add any stitches to my 47 stitch cast-on as I continue to use 5 sts of garter stitch on each side of the square and 5 ridges at the top and bottom of the square.

The bottoms of the curved parts were interesting to execute but worked well. They were much easier than those in the previous square. It took me a couple of days of intermittent knitting to complete this one but I think I might do a second one with this pattern.

Skip and I have been busy entertaining our guests from Japan by way of Indiana. We've been enjoying all the different pavilions at Fiesta, the annual multi-cultural festival in Oshawa. Between Fiesta dinners and lunches while we've been out, we've eaten Ukrainian, German, Greek, Hungarian, Japanese, and Chinese food this week.

Monday, we went to the one of the Ukrainian pavilions for dinner.

On Tuesday we went to the Pacific Mall at Steeles and Kennedy to check out the offerings. We went for lunch at our favourite dim sum restaurant, Grand Lake Chinese Cuisine. For dinner, we ate at the Greek pavilion.

Yesterday we did touristy things in The Big City. We went to the CN Tower
Skip, Geri, Todd, and Shingo
and took a 'hop on hop off' double decker tour bus.
We stopped at the Distillery District and had lunch at the Mill St. Brewery.

The service was poor but the food was good. I got the last cabbage roll at the Hungarian pavilion last night. The goulash was very tasty but was more like a soup than a stew.

Today, we went into the city and visited the Aga Khan Museum and the Japanese Cultural Centre. this evening we went to the German pavilion.

Our guests have to leave us tomorrow. We've had a wonderful visit, though, and look forward to the next time we can get together.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really loving your craft projects. Those striped seat pads look great. And how exciting to be working on that cabled throw! Just the thing for hot weather.

    ReplyDelete