Tuesday 10 September 2019

Fat Quarter Project Bag

I made a project bag using only fat quarters - 18" x 22" each. I wanted the same size as my others so I had to make the vinyl window proportionately bigger.

This meant less fabric below the zipper and below the vinyl.
I also thought I'd try to use batting instead of interfacing.  I used the 30 degree marking on my cutting mat to draw the first line in chalk and spaced the rest of the lines 2" apart. This is my go-to method for doing basic machine quilting.
The Kaffe Fassett fabric was a fat quarter I picked up for $2.99 (Canadian!) at Len's Mill Store.

I had the gold fabric and zipper in my stash.
Because there was so little fabric below the vinyl, and the batting made it thicker, the lining bunched up on the bottom and was clearly visible.
Next time, I'll make the big piece at the back that is folded over an inch shorter and will add the inch to the bottom piece of fabric. Also with a window that big, there really should be a decorative fabric for the lining. I'll also skip the batting and just use firmer interfacing.

I learn something every time I sew something.

No comments:

Post a Comment