Friday 16 July 2021

Cross Stitch Wallet

On a recent FlossTube that I watched (I don't remember which one), the FlossTuber was sent a stitching wallet as a gift. I was intrigued. Barb and I discussed it and she encouraged me to deconstruct it and hinted strongly that she would like one.

With a little bit of searching, I found the pattern on Etsy. It's called a Cross Stitch Wallet by Starlight Stitching Co. 

With the purchase of the pattern, there is a link to a video tutorial. A couple of the steps were unnecessarily fiddly so when I make others, I will use my modifications.

The wallet has a zippered, vinyl window. I'm annoyed I sewed the zipper in the wrong way. Next time I'll do better.

Inside are two pockets.
A smart phone would easily fit in either of them as well as any other stitching accessories - needles, scissors, etc.
Inside is lined with batting which serves as a thread catcher and a piece of wool felt for needles or pins.
Here it is opened out on the other side.
And closed up with snaps.
Although I did pay a visit to Fabricland this morning, I had everything in my stash to make this.

One fat quarter would do the trick, plus a 10" zipper, two sets of snaps, a pack of double fold seam binding to coordinate with the outer fabric, batting (I used synthetic, fusible as I find cotton batting to be too fluffy), vinyl, and thread (coordinating colour plus some white).

When I make this again, I'll put the zipper in so it opens from left to right, and do the strips that attach to the zipper and vinyl differently. I'll also wait to the end to do the snaps on the non-pocket side. Fabric and vinyl shifting occurred during assembly which misaligned the snaps. I had to take one apart and move it to make the wallet lie flat and even.

Otherwise, it wasn't a difficult project and I will definitely make more. Maybe even tomorrow.

Skip and I tried to go for breakfast this morning at our favourite breakfast place. There were 'Help Wanted' signs in the windows and they now open at 11am. No more breakfasts there. I'm sad we didn't see our favourite server. I hope she found another job somewhere.

We then ventured to another breakfast place nearby only to find it no longer exists so we ended up at Sunset Grill. I found 3 eggs AND home fries AND 4 pieces of bacon AND Texas toast too much to eat. We'll have to find a place with smaller portions. I didn't really like their coffee either.

It was nice to eat out for breakfast for the first time since March of last year when we were in Texas. It's something Skip and I like to do every week or so. I felt comfortable dining indoors for the first time since then. The servers all wore masks as did we any time we weren't seated at our table. Every other table was vacant so there were more than 2m between tables. I do look forward to dining at an outdoor patio some day that it isn't blisteringly hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment