Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Unorthodox Finishing

When I was swapping out my front door stitching with my autumnal decoration, I found the winter Seasonal Courier by Robin Pickens, all framed. 

I remembered the plan was to mount the other seasonal pieces on foamcore so they could just be popped in and out of the standard 5 x 7 frame.

Fastidious stitchers often stitch a line around the item where the edge of the foam core will hit - carefully counting threads out from the design edge.

I have discovered the convenience of Frixion pens to do erasable markings. I only use them in areas that won't be seen - cutting lines on fabric, centring lines on the backs of things, and, in this case, delineating the edges of the foamcore for mounting. If the item ever gets cold, the lines will come back. That's why I use the erasable pen (erases with heat of the iron or little eraser on the end of the pen) only in areas that wouldn't be seen.

I then mounted the autumn Seasonal Courier,

and while I was at it, the summer one.
I'm almost done the spring one so will prepare it for mounting and framing once it's done.

I do pin into the foam core all around using short appliqué pins. I could take the time and lace the backs. Not wanting to take the time, I choose the easier method of just tacking down the excess fabric with masking tape.

As the seasons change, I can now swap out the relevant stitched piece.

The décor in the foyer is now complete for the fall.
'Autumn Collage' on perforated paper - Mill Hill Buttons & Bees completed in 2000. It was a real coup finding the autumn-themed Mill Hill frame.
'Quaker Pumpkin' by the Stitcherhood, completed in 2019, also in a Mill Hill frame. Other seasonal pieces are popped in and out of this frame as well.
'Halloween Flip-it' by Lizzie Kate, stitched on 28ct Monaco and completed in 2010.
Snorri the bear was an IKEA find years ago. In the fall, he wears his pumpkin sweater.

I took this shot of Veronica and my new haircut on the way out the door to band last night. It was her turn to come with me.


Having been a music director for over 30 years, I'm very picky about efficient use of rehearsal time. Our musical director, Giancarlo Binetti, is very well organized and sends out the lists of pieces we'll be rehearsing ahead of time. We also receive any new music by .pdf. Several band members use their iPads for their music but I don't have a current device that will upload the software so I print out the parts and use a band folder for them. Giancarlo is also very good about planning how much time he'll spend on each piece, and observes the timing for the beginning of the rehearsal break and end of the rehearsal. 

Our Hallowe'en concerts are on Sunday, October 25 at Pickering Museum Village, at 12:30 and 1:30. I'll be leaving Stitch North early-ish that morning to head home and prepare to arrive at the concert venue by 11:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment