Wednesday 9 April 2008

Thinking about Angie and Her Family

I made a quick trip to my home town to attend the funeral of Angie Gibson, the wife of a former colleague and friend, Floyd Gibson. I had also taught their son Mark and their daughter, Mai-Ling, is one of my facebook buddies. We had beautiful weather - like the sun was smiling on us the whole time. As sad as it is that Angie lost her battle with cancer, I truly believe it is a blessing that she is no longer suffering and I hope in time her family will believe that, too.

After the funeral, I went to Canatara park adjacent to Lake Huron near the mouth of the St. Clair River and just reveled in being outside - living in the moment. I walked on the path all around Lake Chipican and enjoyed birdwatching. I heard a real songster - a goldfinch and an enthusiastic cardinal and spotted them, too. I saw Mr. and Mrs. Downy Woodpecker, a flotilla of mallards and of course the ubiquitous Canada geese. Over at the Sarnia Harbour I spotted some redheads and a solitary bufflehead. And I thought of Angie and her family.

I had a nice visit with my sister and we went out for lovely dinners both nights. Today, on the way back, I dropped into Mary's Yarns in Unionville and bought a few things.


This yarn is for a pair of socks to match my nifty new Liz Claiborne pink, black and white long-sleeved t-shirt.





This yarn was only $8.50 for a 100g 420m ball.







This hank of Fleece Artist Blue Faced Leicester DK was 25% off and just the right amount for another mini-clapotis. It would look very spiffy with denim.

Then I went for 'dim sum' at my favourite place at Kennedy Rd. and Hwy 7 - Grand Lake Restaurant. It's on the NE corner of the building adjacent to Kennedy. I was honouring the memory of Angie as I savoured every bite. My first knowledge of 'dim sum' was as a result of Floyd and Angie celebrating Chinese New Year at Tang's one year. At Grand Lake, one of the servers knows what I like and came bustling over and asked if I wanted Har Gow, Shumai, sticky pork fried rice and mango pudding. I was impressed with her memory. Although, that is probably what all of us 'round eyes' - types order - LOL!

I also brought home the leftovers - yum!













The server was also very pleased to present me with a fish-shaped mango pudding.













So Angie, we are all thinking of you and know you are in a much better place and enjoying being pain free. You will certainly be missed.

1 comment:

  1. I am very sorry to hear about the death of your friend. Having friends there to honor her life certainly was a help to her family.

    ReplyDelete