Sunday 20 April 2008

Yarn Dilemma

Today I gave blood and then Skip and I drove up to Port Perry for the Garden Show at the arena. It was very nice to see all the plants and garden ornaments. It was a gorgeous, warm, sunny day. Skip is eager to get out in the garden except that yesterday, his back started feeling 'twinge-y' and he's not able to do much stooping and bending. Hopefully it'll clear up pronto.

After the garden show, we stopped in at Never Enough Wool and I bought a pattern book, "The Great American Aran Afghan" from Knitter's Magazine. I wanted to make the squares out of a washable yarn - preferably a blend rather than a superwash wool. I've heard the superwash wool yarns tend to pill. As cost is a factor, I picked up some Patons Decor yarn - 75% acrylic/25% wool. I've knit about 25 rows and I don't really like the look (too shiny) or the feel (too acrylic-y) so I'm going to return the 2 remaining balls and find something else. The gal in the yarn shop had used Patons Canadiana but I don't like the feel of 100% acrylic. What to do. What to do.

2 comments:

  1. Made the Great American Aran Afghan a few years ago with Cascade 220. It has beautiful stitch definition and I have washed it each year with no problems. The afghan is a masterpiece! Too much work to waste on acrylic yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input. Yes, I've already decided to use 100% wool. Now to find it in my price range...

    ReplyDelete