Sunday 29 June 2008

Knitting with Cables and Bobbles. Oh my!

I just finished the 10th square - one of my own design.
















I wanted to do a square with lots of bobbles. I used my new "Cables and Arans" book from Interweave Press and selected three patterns with repeats that are multiples of 8. The center pattern is called 'Cable and Dot' and is found on page 82. It has a 15 stitch pattern with a 24 row repeat with row one starting on the wrong side. The one out from it is called 'Cable with Bobbles' and is 9 stitches wide and has a 12 row repeat from page 50. The outer pattern is 'Alternating Bobbles' and is 6 stitches wide with a 16 row repeat from page 189. So to create the right length square, and for the repeats to end in a good place, I needed 72 rows after the 6 garter stitch 'three ridges' rows. Thus creating 3 repeats of the center pattern, 6 repeats of the Cable with Bobbles and 4.5 repeats of the alternating bobbles. Good grief, I'm a knitting designer!

I am planning another square. Stay tuned.

Last week just seemed to roll along. I stitched on Tuesday night with Vickie and Martina and knit on Thursday night at Kniterary with the regulars. Wednesday was a former colleague's retirement party at the same place mine was held last year. It is so hard to believe that I've already been retired one year. Scooter arrived on Wednesday and is with us until next Friday. I've been walking every day 40 - 50 min. The walks have been made more enjoyable because I'm listening to books on CD which I've put on my iPod. One person I know questions whether this is really 'reading' a book but it works for me. It sure makes the walk go by quickly.

Today is our 10th wedding anniversary and 13 years together. It's been a good run. We've been through good times and bad, (fortunately not much) sickness and (good) health. Marrying Skip was one of the best things I've ever done.

June 29, 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment