Sunday 9 May 2010

A Knitting Questionnaire

I found this list of questions on Ladylungdoc's blog and though I'd copy and paste them into mine. Thanks, Lisa. I also added the last 2 questions.

What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Merino, alpaca. Anything soft but not splitty.

What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a needle roll for the straights and keep the circs in a monthly cheque file and a largeish cosmetic bag.

How long have you been knitting? Off and on (mostly off) since I was a kid but very obsessively since October of 2006.

How did you learn? I believe my grandmother taught me. I used an old instruction book with diagrams to learn new techniques. Since 2006, I've taken a couple of classes (cables and fair isle with Fiona Ellis) but mostly use Internet videos to learn new techniques (Latvian braid, nupps, etc.)

Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I would say at this point that I am between intermediate and advanced levels.

Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?Yes on the KnitPicks website.

What’s your favorite scent? Apple and cinnamon, lavender, cloves, allspice.

Do you have a sweet tooth? Yes! To the point of gluttony.

Favorite candy? I like anything with caramel, nuts, peanut butter, chocolate or a combination of them.

What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I was an avid cross-stitcher before I took up knitting in 2006. I have also done embroidery, some crocheting and needlepoint. I used to do calligraphy before computers were able to do it so well. I also have a full stained glass studio in my basement that I haven't used since I moved into this house 14 years ago.

Do you spin? Dye? I have done both. Most recently (yesterday) I bought a beautiful Bolivian rosewood Turkish drop spindle and spun and plied a cute little 9 gram skein. I took a dyeing workshop last September at On The Lamb in Uxbridge and LOVED the results. I have a bunch of bare seacell that I'm just waiting to dye when the weather gets warmer and can work outside.





What kind of music do you like? Being a classically trained musician (oboist) I really favour classical (small 'c') music. However I enjoy almost every other genre where orchestral instruments are used and one can easily understand the lyrics (if any). I get somewhat irritated by tunes that are monotonous and repetitive or where people are screaming into microphones. I LOVE Latin music, particularly dance music and pretty much any other ethnic music.

Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Yes.

What’s your favorite colour(s)?
Jewel tones - blues, greens, purples, golds, reds.

Any colours you just can’t stand? Not really.

What is your family situation? One awesome husband, one terrific teenaged step-son (I am truly blessed), one sister and all her family.








Do you have any pets? One cat that we've owned since August of 1999.

Are you allergic to any pets? I don't think so.

Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? yes, yes, yes and no.

What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I tend to go through phases. Two years ago was my sock phase, last year a lace phase and this year was my mitten phase. I have also been quite fond of knitting cables and fair isle.

What is on your needles right now? A Dale of Norway St. Moritz sweater for my husband, Latvian Dances socks for the Roseneath Fair Homecraft competition, a cable hat with Malabrigo worsted, two shawls, a pair of Selbu gloves and a mini clapotis. Those are all the active projects. I have a few UFOs that are hibernating.

Do you read knitting books? Yes.

What kind of books i.e. technique, pattern, fiction? I like reading technique books and books about knitting (i.e. Elizabeth Zimmermann). I have a few fiction books but I knit so much I don't take the time to read. I try to find current best-sellers (non-knitting books) on DVD so I can rip them to my iPod. I particularly like books on ethnic knitting techniques - Estonian, Latvian, Norwegian, Swedish, etc.

Do you like to receive handmade gifts? All gifts are gratefully appreciated.

Do you prefer straight or circular needles? I use straights with smallish flat projects but try to find a way to do all the knitting with one circular - Magic loop. I really don't like using dpns any more - too many points!

Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I prefer bamboo or wooden straights and wood or stainless steel circs.

Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes and yes.

How old is your oldest UFO? Nothing more than 3.5 years old.

What is your favorite holiday? Any travelling anywhere with my husband or girlfriends.

What winter holiday do you observe? A secular Christmas.

Is there anything that you collect? Knitting needles, souvenir yarn, knitting books and patterns.

Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? Some of the new sock books, the new Swedish pattern book, a good book on Swedish Twined knitting,  Annemor Sundbo's book "Knitting in Art" ($$$$) and a book on Haapsalu stitch patterns called "The Haapsalu Shawl" ($$$$)

What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Interweave Knits.

Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? None that I can think of offhand but I'm always open to learn new things.

Are you a sock knitter? yes.

What are your foot measurements? Women's 8.5. My foot is 10" long and 9" around at my bunion.

When is your birthday? April 23.

Are you on Ravelry? yes - my Ravelry ID is 'geri'.

Are you on KnitPicks Knitting Community? No

Do you listen to knitting podcasts? If yes, what are your favourite ones? Yes, I enjoy the KnitPicks podcast, She-Knits podcast, Sticks and Strings, Never Not Knitting, Knit More Girls, Knitty Nora's Knitting Natter, and Sweaters for Dragons.

Do you tend to always have a knitting project with you when you leave the house? Yes! One never knows when there will be a lull in the activity when I can knit.

No comments:

Post a Comment