Friday 29 January 2016

The Syncopation Sock Saga Continues

I cut the cuff off the first Syncopation sock and unravelled a gram or so of yarn of the leg with great difficulty. Yarn likes to run back down in the direction it was knit from, not the other way, so I had to unpick each stitch. I then decided it would be faster to cut the leg the right number of rows down. I did that and unravelled the yarn. I was going to re-knit the cuff and graft it to the leg again but I got all cocky and thought, "why don't I just knit back up to the cuff and do a ribbed tubular bindoff".

I thought it looked really good after doing that. When you knit back the other way, you are really picking up the 'troughs' of your stitches so really are 1/2 stitch out. It doesn't really show because I started the 1 x 1 ribbing right after picking up the 3 x 1 stitches.
I thought I was SO clever doing the tubular bindoff by putting the knit stitches on one needle and the purl stitches on another then kitchenering them together for the bindoff. The only problem was that it was a bit snugger than I like the top of a sock cuff. SOOOO, I'm going to unravel the cuff back down, do the tubular cast-on (I use the waste yarn method) and knit the 1 x 1 cuff and then graft it to the leg of the sock.

I just don't like the top to be snug and am willing to do all that to make it right. In the meantime, I've given that sock a timeout and cast on the second sock. It's going well, thank you very much. We have driven about 2400km over the last 5 days so when it is Skip's turn to drive, I usually knit.
I'm just a couple of rows away from starting the eye of partridge heel flap.
In spite of all the problems I've caused for myself, I love everything about these socks.  The yarn is beautiful, the tubular cast-on is my new favourite cast-on, and the Syncopation pattern is a really nice unisex version of a ribbed pattern.

Today we stopped at The Quilted Skein in La Grange, TX. It is a beautiful shop with delicious high-end yarns, including several hand-dyed skeins by local dyers, and probably all of the Rowan Kaffe Fassett fabrics plus more. I bought a couple of skeins of fingering weight on discount. I have a scarf in mind but am not sure I can get my hands on the pattern so will be doing some Ravelry research. We also toured the Texas Quilt Museum which is right next door to The Quilted Skein. Unfortunately, photos are not allowed but if you are ever in the area (Austin/San Antonio) it is only a couple of hours to La Grange and the museum and the yarn/fabric shop are definitely worth the trip. The town of La Grange is also very cute and has a Historic Courthouse in the downtown square. There are lots of cute shops and cafés to explore as well.

Tomorrow, Skip and I are going to San Antonio to visit a long-time friend of Skip's and his wife, then will make our final push to South Padre Island on Sunday and move into the condo we have rented.

No comments:

Post a Comment