Friday 29 June 2018

Sale on Cute Fabric

I made another trip to Fabricland today for their 50% off (almost everything) sale and found some very cute fabric with a cottage theme on sale for $6 a metre, down from $20. For you math phobes out there, that's 70% off. Wheee!

I made a nifty pillowcase using the Muskoka chair (Adirondack chair in the US) fabric and its striped companion fabric.


I used the 'burrito method' using only two fabrics.  I finished with French seams where I put the wrong sides together and sewed 1/4" around the two sides. Then turned it inside out, and sewed 1/2" seam on the same sides, encasing the raw edges. It makes for a very neat, professional-looking finish.
The original pattern calls for 27" of the main fabric and 9" of the cuff fabric. I bought 0.7m of the main fabric and 0.25m of the striped fabric. With tax, the entire project cost $6.44 CAD! You certainly can't buy a cute, well-made pillowcase for that price anywhere. And the project took under an hour.

I've been in invited to my friend's cottage next month so it may be a gift for my hostess. I think I'll go back tomorrow and buy more of the same fabric to make another one for me to keep.

Wouldn't pillowcases be cute gifts for little kids? Or friends and loved ones using a fabric they'd like?


No comments:

Post a Comment