Thursday 30 November 2023

Half a Blanket

In an attempt to do some stash busting, I'm knitting another Excavation blanket. This time I'm trying to use up some (mostly) acrylic (mostly) worsted weight yarn. 

I'll use it in the car when it is finished and will be 30" x 36". I do a variation on the pattern. When knit as written it's square and I need it 6" longer. 
Once I got to 30" wide, I started knitting the extra 6" without starting a colour change with fringe and decreasing twice at the beginning of the colour change. This requires weaving in ends rather than using them as fringe so I'm using Stephen West's 'Weavin' Stephen' technique. There will be a bit of bulk on the edges but I'm not really concerned about that. 

Then I'm going to knit a second triangle and graft it onto the lengthened first triangle. The long fringes will be twisted for an attractive finish then trimmed to a uniform length. 

I did all of what is pictured in only a couple of days so this is a quick knit - done mostly while watching TV with Skip in the evenings.

In no way will this completely deplete my leftover worsted weight yarn but it's a good start. I have also done some rows with DK weight. I just knit loosely and it seems to work OK. It feels a little thinner in those spots but still looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment