Wednesday, 15 July 2026

So Hot Out...

It continues to be well over 30ºC during the day so I've been huddling inside. Yesterday I found a bunch more batting in my stash so thought it would be a good day to make a retreat mat.

I took a look at what was being sold on Etsy and determined that 19" x 14" would be appropriate dimensions. 

Basically a retreat mat is a large-ish placemat that protects your stitching from whatever table surface it's on. I previously made one with some Peanuts fabric.



I loved the inspirational interior fabric. Basically it's a big placemat and it has certainly served its purpose.
I noted other creators added pockets and a magnet/needle minder under a thread bed. Once again I agonized about what fabric to use, deciding on this big print .

and plain, white inside. The thread bed is just a piece of batting with a trim. The little magnet (under the needle) is loose  under the thread bed but easily felt with the fingers. I could stitch it in place if I need to later.

For the simple 30º quilting I used the lines on my cutting mat to draw an initial line in each direction using blue tailor's chalk; then set the guide on my walking foot at 2 1/2" for the rest of the lines.
On the Charlie Brown mat, I added the border separately and hand-stitched it in place after folding it over to the other side. On this one, I just made the exterior fabric 3/4" bigger on all 4 sides and folded it in half then over to the inside, sewing it in place. The corners were mitered and for extra security, I did a couple of machine stitches at a 45º angle. I also added my little sunflower 'logo'.
The right side and bottom of the pocket were secured when the binding was sewn. I didn't realize I was playing 'thread chicken' but this was all the white thread that was left on the spool when I was finished.
Yikes! Note to self: buy more thread.

This project could be done with 2 fat quarters. 

A couple of my windows are being replaced today; the smokiest day from all the wildfires in northern Ontario. (cough, cough)
Hopefully the house can get closed up again soon.

The air quality is so bad. The skies are yellow from the haze - a NW wind blowing forest fire smoke our way. From the current Ontario Forest Fire map: (I'm just east of Toronto)


It's like the filters used in dystopian movies. I had to use filters to brighten my photos when editing for this post.

Another good day to stay inside...

No comments:

Post a Comment