I was invited to participate in my nieces' quilting retreat at the Springhouse Retreat outside of New Hamburg. I forgot to take a photo of all the stuff I was taking but suffice it to say it was almost every bit of crafting supplies I own.
The drive there (via the $$$ 407 $$$) was thankfully uneventful and I arrived at about 10 am, then unloaded the car.
There is accommodation for 12 people in 6 bedrooms: 2 triples, 2 doubles and a couple of singles. We each had an 8 foot table to work on. I took a couple of shots before everyone was in the room. The arrow is pointing to my niece, Rosa. It was a photo I sent someone and neglected to remove the arrow. I sat to her right and my other niece, Ana, sat across from Rosa. Our organizer, Jo-Ann is also pictured.
This is the other side of the room. Pictured are Marion, Patty, and Lynne. The others were doing other things at this time. The cutting tables were between our banks of work tables. There were several ironing stations set up. The room was very well lit but I still used my lamp when cross-stitching.
This is the photo from their website:
Each bedroom is named for a quilt block pattern. Rosa and I shared the Sawtooth Star room. Again, their photo.
Our bedding was actually white. Accessories actually matched the name of the room.
After I got set up, my area looked very chaotic. I did, however, accomplish a lot.
Ernest was in charge of quality control.
On the end of one of the cutting tables were some of the snacks folks provided. I think the chocolate-covered JuJubes were my favourites. It almost made me want to drive to Glencoe to buy some.
On Tuesday morning, I set out for
Heart N Home Creations quilt shop in New Hamburg - a mere 10 minute drive away. Then I headed west to Stratford to shop at
Ye Olde Fabric Shoppe.
I had no plan in mind but did manage to pick up three half-yard bundles, thread, some yardage of fabric and a couple of charm packs.
Back at Springhouse I did a bit of stitching on:
The Robin Pickens Autumn Courier,
The Hands On Designs 'This Bee's Got Knees' (Thomas' favourite one this week),
I also bought cording to make piping for the needlepoint pillow. I had planned to get the pillow project finished but needed to concentrate more for installing the zipper with the backing and the piping all at the same time. It was too much for my brain with all the other activity going on so just making the piping was sufficient. I'll watch a couple of YouTube videos on the subject first to summon my confidence for the project.

I have never done so much sewing in such a compressed amount of time before, and was pleased at all I accomplished.
The Lori Holt project bag from one of her panels turned out really well. I didn't quilt it at all. I happened to have all the required materials on hand. I do like a vinyl window in my project bags so cut part of the front panel to accommodate it.
I got this Lori Holt companion fabric last November when Barb and I went up to
Quilter's Cupboard for her birthday discount.
I also used that fabric to line the parts above and below the zipper.
I made a snappy thread catcher with the piece I cut from the front. The snaps were added after I got home today.
The second Lori Holt bag wasn't quite as successful as I grossly miscalculated the size of the vinyl I had. I'll sell it at a discount. I did, however, quilt the interior fabric, thanks to thread provided by Beth. I didn't particularly like the printed panel that went with the bag so swapped it out for the yellow fabric. The same, teal fabric was used for the back and binding.
Retreat mats seem to be quite popular so I cranked out three of them. This one with French General 'Joie de Vivre' fabric.
The butterfly fabric was from my stash.
I guess I didn't get a shot of the third retreat mat.
The French General charm pack and fabric got used for a quilted, checkerboard project bag (with a vinyl window).
The retreat house is on a working farm. While motoring on the driveway to the main road, to head to the fabric shops on Tuesday, these black Angus cows were strolling along the fence beside the pond. It is a very quiet, rural setting - very conducive to relaxation.
The retreat centre is very popular. Most bookings are either Monday to Thursday or Thursday to Sunday. It's booked solid for about a year in advance.
My departure today was at about 2pm, heading for the Len's Mill Store off the 401 in Cambridge. I needed to buy more vinyl and while there, picked up two DMC colours missing from my 'Bee's Knees' stitching project. I also needed more fusible batting but all they had was wet fusible and I wanted heat fusible. A trip to Fabricland in Pickering for the batting will be in the near future.
The rest of the drive home was fairly uneventful until I neared Ajax on the 407. It was rush hour at that point and we were slowed right down for the last 15km or so. I ended up getting off one exit early and had a 'comfort stop' at Wendy's and a chocolate frosty. I confirmed with Scooter (who had been housesitting during my absence) what he wanted on the pizza I was going to order, then picked up the pizza on the last leg of my journey.
Scooter helped me unload the car and carried my suitcase upstairs. I'll deal with the rest of the unpacking tomorrow.
I really enjoyed spending time with the Lambton County ladies and my nieces. I hope they'll invite me again.
No comments:
Post a Comment