Saturday 4 July 2009

Gadgets and Dim Sum and Yarn. Oh My!

Skip and I got up early today to go to Lee Valley to pick up a couple of gadgets for Skip's gardening. We felt peckish after that so headed to Unionville for lunch at our favourite 'dim sum' restaurant, Grand Lake Chinese Cuisine & Banquet just south of Hwy. 7 on Kennedy. We had delicious shu mai, har gow, stir fried sticky rice and deep fried shrimp wrapped in a won ton wrapper. I could not resist the cold mango pudding, custard egg tarts and tapioca pudding so I pigged out and had all three. Eeeek! I think I'm going to pay for that.

Then we headed to Mary's Yarns on Main St. in Unionville just north of the railroad tracks. I picked up some squishy, Madil wool/cashmere yarn on sale 1/2 price and 4 balls of Magic Garden Allsorts (3 blue and 1 yellow) for the Frazer baby boy due November 4.













On the way home we drove through Whitevale so I could take a look at Whitevale Crafts but it was closed with a sign saying it would be re-opening on August 6. So I have a while to wait before I can check out their spinning supplies.

Using the Allsorts yarn, I've cast on the Garter Ridge Baby Cardigan from Lion Brand. The body will be blue and most of the sleeves will be yellow.

I'm also progressing on the Charade socks. It's a very easy stitch pattern and knits up quite quickly.

The herringbone ribbed pattern doesn't really show up THAT clearly but it makes for a very stretchy sock leg and looks nice nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad your charades are coming up nicely and i'm especially glad that they're stretchy! =) i was planning on asking you about how you're making them stretchy on thursday but i won't be there this week - i have job training that night.

    and dim sum is AMAZING, i'll be sure to check out the restaurant that you recommended!

    ReplyDelete