Monday 13 July 2009

My Handspun

Last week, Paula helped me refine my spinning technique such that I'm now able to spin fairly thin - dare I say laceweight? - yarn. Here is the best of my first attempts.









Not being satisfied with naturally coloured alpaca yarn, I beetled over to Kniterary and bought some Sweet Sheep hand-dyed superwash merino. Here is 180yd. after I spun, plied and wound it into a hank.


I'm going to knit a pair of socks with this, reinforcing the heel and toe.







Yesterday, I went to Port Hope for a spinning event at The Black Lamb.


















We assembled in the parking lot behind the store and set up our spinning wheels.













I was the only one that had my style of Louet wheel. Everyone else's looked more modern and in some cases made out of plywood but mine was the 'purtiest'. It is designed and stained to look like a lovely piece of furniture.


Most people were surprised I had only been spinning for only a week, considering the thinness of the yarn I was creating. I hoped to win a prize for being the newest spinner but there was a gal there who was spinning that day for the very first time!

Mary and Paula were there, and I met Jody, aka Gypsy Spinner, and Missy from Painted Fleece.


I bought some more fleece to play with, too.

Last night I finished spinning and plying the rest of the Sweet Sheep fleece so now can start knitting my first handspun socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment