Monday 27 December 2010

Norwegian Woods II

In October 2008, I put this Norwegian Woods shawl down only 12 rows away from completing it. I decided I wanted to add beads to the edge and needed to find the right ones. There it sat until last Monday. I finished it and finally got it blocked.

Sivia Harding's pattern depicts a forest progressing from winter into spring. At the neck are the Winter Branches, then the Budding Twigs, to Emerging Leaves then the Leaf and Bower.
The Norwegian Woods shawl used just over a ball of Fiddlesticks Zephyr laceweight yarn - 660 yards. This yarn has been renamed Fantastic Knitting Laceweight. This is the Indigo colourway. This outdoor photo washed the colour out quite a lot. The indoor photos are more true.
The pinning of the points took a long time. In fact, the shawl was almost dried before I finished pinning and I had to re-wet it.
I used an opaque blue bead and silver lined clear bead every three stitches along the edge. The blue bead doesn't really show up - oh well.
All that pinning was worth it.
I'm pleased to have another long-standing UFO finished. Yay! Although I completed it in 2010, it doesn't count in the "10 Shawls in 2010" because I didn't start it this year. No matter - I'm just glad to have it done.

1 comment: