Friday 3 December 2010

A Very Busy Week, No Knitting Pics and A New Baby!

This week has been a busy one. I've been doing a LOT of knitting. I'm working on a Traveling Woman Shawl, Gail/Nightsongs Shawl, Citron Shawl, and have the cross-stitch project to finish. I  bought beads for the first two shawls yesterday. On Tuesday, I bought another netbook (EeePC 1001) to replace the one whose screen I broke 1 1/2 years ago. The netbooks were on clearance at Staples for $297! How could I resist? However, I took it back today because I can't decide if I should just bite the bullet and replace my 5+ year-old Toshiba Satellite laptop, buy an iPad, get the broken netbook fixed (or would that be throwing good money after bad?) or keep the netbook. I'll decide some other time. However the young tech guy at Staples told me that if I brought in the replacement screen, they could install it for about $80. Not sure what I'll do.

This morning I went over to Mo's and we spun and yakked until our tummies told us it was lunch time. Mo had a 2 for 1 coupon for "Los Cabos" so we went there for lunch and planned a road trip for next Friday. I then returned the EeePC to Staples and got the refund and then picked up Cindy to take her to her physio appointment. She had rotator cuff surgery last week and can't drive for 2 weeks. I knit happily while I waited for her to be finished. Then I drove her home and came home and reheated takeout from the Thai restaurant we had lunch at on Tuesday and the dim sum left over from lunch yesterday after going to pick up Skip's new MacBook. After supper I tore off to dress rehearsal for our upcoming concert on Sunday.

At the rehearsal, I was very pleased to see Fr. Paul Massel, the parish priest of St. Joseph's Church in Bowmanville where we'll be performing this Sunday, Dec. 5 at 2 pm. Paul was a classmate of mine at the Faculty of Music @ Western where he was a voice major. After graduation he performed the role of Monsieur Fermin in "Phantom of the Opera" (remember the song "Prima Donna"?)  for several years. Then he moved to New York City.  Some time after that, he studied to become a Catholic priest and was ordained in 2000. Now, one would think a Catholic priest who is performing solo at the Christmas concert would be singing some sacred tunes. But oh, no. He's singing "Someone to Watch Over Me", "You Can't Take That Away From Me" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Go figure. I'm betting he misses the grease paint and floodlights. I think our concert on Sunday will be very fun and I'm looking forward to it. It's $10 if you want to come. If you do attend, make sure you come up to the front and say hello. I like seeing friendly faces in the audience.

Here's the new addition to our electronic family.
The zebra striped thing in the centre is Skip's new iPod Touch he bought at a local pawn shop. It was in perfect condition. On the right is his new mouse. He doesn't like the track pad on the laptop. And on
the left is his new baby, a MacBook.


And when you turn off the lights, the keys are backlit! And the screen dims! How cool is that!










Tomorrow we're picking Scooter up after school and are driving to London (ON) so he can have a tour on Saturday morning of the campus at the University of Western Ontario, the 'centre of all learning in the universe' and my alma mater.

I sure hope it doesn't snow.

I'm not sure when if and when I'll get around to photographing my current projects.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, as someone who isn't much into Mac products, that keyboard is pretty cool! And the $297 price tag for the netbooks has enticed me as well... it would be nice to get rid of the old laptop (aka, craptop) someday.

    I've knit the Gail shawl as well. I found the uncharted version much easier to follow, but elected not to do the double yo in the edging. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete