Saturday 22 February 2014

Olympic Knitting - Mostly

I cast on The Big Four socks a couple of days before the Olympics started so they don't really count for the Ravellenic Games. No matter. They were mostly knit while I watched various permutations of NBC Olympic broadcasts.

Some things I liked about watching the Olympics on US stations:
- several channels to watch with staggered events
- Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir's enthusiastic and knowledgeable commentary on the figure skating on NBC Sports Network. They should do it on the prime time NBC broadcasts as well.
- some coverage of Canadian events, especially when the US had nothing to report about its own teams in the given event.
- not having to listen to Don Cherry.

What I didn't like:
- no Canadian broadcasts. I like being able to switch among the various CBC channels in both English and French when I'm at home.
- Sandra Bezic's commentary on the figure skating and to a lesser degree, Scott Hamilton's. For some reason they just rubbed me the wrong way.
- not being able to stream CBCs feed as it was blocked in the US. I assume it was due to some agreement with NBC.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Canada beats Sweden tomorrow morning in the gold medal men's hockey game.

I am waiting for my new sock blockers to arrive in the mail from KnitPicks. Until then I'll have to make do with these photos.
I did 3 complete pattern repeats before starting the heel flap.
By that time on the first sock, I had internalized the pattern.
One change I made was to cross the first cable on round 1 to the right (back) so the trellises would go in the over-under-over-under configuration.
I think they will be very spiffy during the Christmas season.
The Leading Men Fiber Arts Showstopper sock yarn in the To Grandmother's House colourway was really nice to work with. It is 75% superwash merino and 25% nylon. It has a nice twist and not much halo. There is very nice stitch definition.

I look forward to seeing the Figure Skating Gala. Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir will be commentating. It was supposed to be on this afternoon but I couldn't find it on any NBC station. Hopefully, it will be shown in its entirety this evening but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment