Wednesday 5 February 2014

Starting The Big Four

My knitting designer friend, Maureen Foulds, has been prolifically releasing her designs - most of which are based on Agatha Christie novels.  On February 1, she released a sock pattern, The Big Four. It is a lovely criss-crossing travelling cable with a textured checkerboard in the background.

I started it last week before our trip to Florida using Lana Grossa Meilenweit Seta Cashmere sock yarn. Unfortunately, there was too much of a 'halo' to the cashmere/silk blend and I didn't like the look of it.

Yesterday at 'A Good Yarn' I picked up a skein of Leading Men Fiber Arts Showstopper sock yarn in the 'To Grandmother's House' colourway.

I am liking the look of this yarn much better. It has a tighter twist and is not as fuzzy.
I modified it by crossing the first cable in row one to the right instead of the left. That way the travelling cables adhere to the over-under pattern. I also upsized the pattern from 64 to 72 stitches per round to accommodate my tighter knitting style. This makes for an 18 stitch repeat and 32 rows in the pattern.

1 comment:

  1. I love the colorway name. Great stitch definition too. Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete