Monday 11 May 2015

Knitting for Baby Girls

I have been doing a lot of knitting for baby girls. Four of my friends will have or have had baby granddaughters this spring or summer. I have finished two cardigans except for picking out and sewing on the buttons.

This Baby Ull yarn has been in my stash for a couple of years and am glad to have found a use for it. This is the Modified Drops Eyelet Baby Cardigan. I wasn't that thrilled with the right-leaning double decrease in the eyelet so will try a centre double decrease next time.
This is the third or fourth Provence Baby Cardigan I have knit. I did a post about what I went through to get gauge. Here it is with the pieces all sewn together. I did the sleeves in the round rather than have to seam them as well.
Like I have done on the other ones I have knit, I mirrored the lace pattern on the front by starting the second pattern halfway up the chart.
The pattern calls for the button bands to be knit with smaller needles. Instead, I used the same size needle and picked up three edge stitches and skipped the fourth. The pattern also called for the bindoff on the button bands to be done in pattern, that is, bind off the knit stitches knitwise alternating with purlwise bindoffs on the purl stitches. However, I prefer the look of the consistent bindoff that I did - purlwise with the private side facing and knitwise with the public side facing.

The collar edging is very easy and makes a nice finish.

I'm working on a third sweater and have all the parts knit. I just need to sew them together and again, find an appropriate button. It will be revealed very soon. Here's a sneak peak at part of the back.

Yes, folks. That's the Coach logo. It's the Upscale Baby cardigan pattern by Kathleen Sperling and I'm using South Pacific pima cotton yarn. I just noticed a mistake I made (not shown) that I will have to fix with duplicate stitch.

I do plan to knit coordinating hats for all of the items and possibly little Mary Jane booties.

Two of the babies have been born so I have to get the items done and to the grandmothers pronto. The other two have yet to be born so I'm not under quite as much pressure to get them all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment