Friday 15 May 2015

Playing with Fibre

Yesterday I attended a workshop in Lindsay where we played with different colours of fibre to create carded batts for spinning. Mostly we experimented with colour.

Rebecca was our facilitator. She encouraged us to 'play' with different colours to see what we would come up with. She pointed out some colour theory aspects and also things to avoid.
She brought all kinds of roving for us to card. We had also brought some from our own stashes.


There were a couple of blending boards for us to use,
as well as a couple of drum carders.

I mostly used my hand carders in my attempt to 'make a rainbow'. I will probably spin these in sequence to make a multicoloured art yarn.
This is how the blending board can be used - just layering on pieces of roving and combing them with the blue comb to align all the fibres.
They're then wound around dowels creating tight rolls which can then be easily spun.


I used the drum carder and made these colouful batts.



I have no idea what procedure I'll use to spin them.
I did most of these with the hand carders.
Here's a lovely, silky batt that was created using orange, pink, and purple fibre.
Janis created this batt on the drum carder.




Mayah used several fibres to create her rolags.
The Kawartha Handspinners and Weavers Guild meets in Lindsay at the Armoury on the first Thursday of the month from September to June for their business meeting. The second Thursday is their 'fun' meeting where they often have a programmed activity for the members. If you live in the area, check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment