Friday 12 June 2020

Umbrella Cover

A few years back we had a great gazebo on our deck that consisted of a metal frame and a fitted synthetic, woven top. After a couple of years, the sun degraded it so much the top just shredded. By that point we were unable to find a replacement top and for a couple of years I just used a tarp that I would cleverly fold and secure. It never looked very good.

Then I bought one of those offset umbrellas that covered a good portion of the deck.

It came with a cover. What a great idea! But the cover was only tarp material and only lasted a couple of years before the sun degraded it beyond usefullness. However, the umbrella, because it was always covered when folded up, was in almost pristine condition. So I bought some indoor/outdoor fabric and made a replacement cover.

Here we are, a few years later. The umbrella is still in pristine condition but the cover has really faded. Yesterday I got more indoor/outdoor fabric (50% off!) and made a replacement for the replacement cover. I selected fabric that was primarily light coloured so the fading wouldn't show so much. And I purchased extra fabric to make placemats for the table and a cushion for the storage bin.
It's about 8ft tall. I used a duvet zipper, starting about a foot below the top.

I put a ring and a cord on the zipper tab so I could reach to pull it down once the top of the cover is in place. (the umbrella came with a 7ft. metal pole for opening the zipper and putting the cover back on the top of the support post) .
There was still a gap at the bottom so I attached some velcro tabs to complete the closure.
I boxed the corners at the top. Here it is all zipped up.
The umbrella is protected again when it is closed up. It's easy to remove the cover with the pole. I then stuff it in the brown patio bin to the left in the photo above. I plan to make a cushion for the top of this bin for additional seating as required.




No comments:

Post a Comment