Sunday 20 June 2021

Sewing and Stitching

Jeanette commissioned me to make her some project bags. Over the past few days I got them finished up.

My pattern calls for 23" of fabric so a fat quarter is just a little bit shy of that and only works on non-directional fabric because I have to turn the fabric 90º to make it work. The patterned fabric was a little shorter so I just pieced a bit of the lining fabric to make it work.

I made the vinyl window bigger on this one so it came out almost square - perfect for up to a 12" hoop or QSnap.

The last two were my standard size when finished. I liked all the European stamps, postmarks, and writing on this one.
This fabric was beautiful and I was able to centre the motifs with a minimum of 'fussy cutting'.
The photos don't do the fabric justice. There's gold paint highlighting the 'roses'.
That should help contain all the projects she has on the go.

I've not been stitching all the much these days but I have made some progress on my Starburst Flag of Canada project.

The two reds are clearly distinct from one another but under indoor lighting, the two whites (Blanc and B5200) don't really contrast. 
However, under natural light (outdoors) the Blanc looks like Ecru compared to the bright white of the B5200. Can you see the difference?

I'm not sure I'll get this finished in time for Canada Day but if I put a push on over the next week, I might just make it.


I've also been knitting little blankets with some white DK acrylic yarn in my stash for Mt. Sinai Hospital. I'm almost finished the 2nd one - one more evening in front of the TV ought to do it. At Michaels last week I bought a ball of soft acrylic baby DK weight to make some more.

Skip and I will be going into The Big City in a month so I could drop of any blankets off that I have completed by then. It's only about 3 blocks from where we'll go for Skip's checkup. We think we'll take the GO Train if the Delta variant isn't rampaging through the city. We both have Presto cards that we haven't used since December 2019 - the last time we took the GO into the city. 

On our drive home from his checkup on Friday, rather than crawl along the DVP with everyone else leaving the city on a summer, Friday afternoon, we decided to stay on Bloor and take the Danforth over to Kingston Rd. We had the most delightful drive, hitting almost all green lights en route. When we got home, it was only 10 minutes longer than had we taken the DVP and 401. 

Next week Skip and I will be 2 weeks out from our 2nd Pfizer shots and at the vaccine's maximum efficacy. We might celebrate by dining outdoors somewhere. 

We have been so fortunate to have had an extra month of summer weather this year. I'm quite enjoying doing my morning puzzle out on the deck while I sip on a coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment