Tuesday 10 August 2021

Really Scrappy Helix Socks

I knit another pair of helix socks. I ran out of the dark colour so used scraps of other dark, leftover yarns. 


The lighter colour is from the same ball of KnitPicks Chroma sock yarn in the Lollipop colourway (now discontinued).
Had I used the same yarn for the heels and toes, I could have made them look more like a fraternal twin pair like these.
But I didn't, so they don't. People with OCD should just scroll on by.

There are some lovely things in the garden lately. The echinacea are past their most beautiful stage but the bees are still loving them.

Many of them have pollen stuck to their hind legs.
The butterfly bush is also very popular with butterflies. This is a mourning cloak. Pretty drab closed up.
Quite striking opened up.
Beyond monarchs and red admirals, I'm not very knowledgeable about butterfly species. I have to look them up all the time. It often involves going page by page through my butterfly guide.
Monarch larvae feed exclusively on milkweed leaves but the adults like the nectar from many bright flowers. Red admirals are frequent visitors.
Skip is growing beautiful zinnias again. This one is almost perfect. I love the ring of star-shaped pollen florets ( I had to Google that ). He grew them from seed again this year and they're spectacular.

A little opossum was crouched down in our garden. He didn't run away until I was almost right up to him. These guys eat tons of ticks, bug, etc. We're very glad to have them.

I just got a news flash that Gov. Cuomo has resigned. I am so annoyed that in this day and age - 40 years after awareness of what constitutes sexual harassment was publicized very widely - superiors (usually men) are still imposing themselves on people in the workplace (usually women) and elsewhere. Cuomo was so 'presidential' during the first couple of waves of COVID. He would have been a formidable candidate for president in 2024 but no, he had to go and let his groin direct his actions. And now he's a pariah. Disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment