Tuesday 24 August 2021

Ribbed Helix Socks, in Search of a Good 'G', and a Cool FFO Idea.

I started another pair of helix socks. This time, I doing 2 x 2 ribbing on the leg. 

Instead of an afterthought heel, I used a Fish Lips Kiss (FLK) heel. It's a short row heel that doesn't leave any holes and is pretty easy to do. It was devised by the Sox Therapist and the pattern only costs $1US. The pattern is actually a method for creating a permanent sock template to fit a particular foot, much like the late Cat Bordhi's Insouciant Sock pattern. Finally on pages 9 and 10 of the 16 page document are the instructions for the heel.
I'm using black for the cuffs, heels, and toes with the multicoloured yarn contrasting with a charcoal for the helix patterns. 

There are long stretches of colour in the multi yarn so the second sock will look quite different from the first sock but have matching charcoal stripes and black cuffs, heels, and toes.

I also finished all the stitching on the Queen Bee Sampler except for my initial in the centre of the star. I don't like the one in the alphabet provided so am looking for another 'G' that will fit in the 15 x 15 area - preferably 13 x 13 or a bit less. I like how the bee's wings were designed. Oops! I just noticed I need to do the 6 stitches of the opening of the bee skep.


The Needlework Expo is coming this weekend. I need to have a look at all the offerings to see what I want to order.

For starters, I really like Hello from Liz Mathews' 'Token of Fall'. The blue is a hand-dyed silk floss. I've been wanting to do some stitching with silks so this project would fit the bill.
I'll be spending some time over the next couple of days looking at the new releases.

While browsing the other releases I noticed a very interesting and easy way to finish a pincushion. It is inspired by Hands On Design.
Just use an embroidery hoop! They are very inexpensive, widely available, come in many sizes and  could be stained to any colour. The back can be finished with craft paper, scrapbook paper or fabric once the stitched piece has been inserted. What a great idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment