Wednesday 28 August 2013

Eeeek! A Steek!

Today was THE BIG DAY - the day I cut the steek on my Rams and Yowes blanket.

I had already reinforced both sides of the centre stitches with a line of crochet (blue yarn). This morning, I also ran the reinforcement through the sewing machine. There's no way it'll unravel after cutting the steek. I will be cutting up the centre of the centre stitches between the reinforcements.
I'm ready to start cutting.
Here I go!
Ta da! The tube is now a flat piece of knitting.
Here I'm showing how the steek stitches will be folded under and I'll pick up stitches between them and the patterned knitting to knit the garter stitch border. (I'm in desperate need of a manicure)
Tomorrow I go in search of at least two very long 3mm needles to knit on the border. I'm going to block it first so it lies nice and flat and is somewhat square. I will pick up 196 stitches on each side and increase one stitch on each side of the corner stitches for a total increase of 8 stitches per round. There will be well over 800 stitches per round before I finish the border.


1 comment: