Monday 5 August 2013

Rams and Yowes

I started this project last September and got a few inches done before I abandoned it for other things. I picked it up again a couple of weeks ago and have been making good progress.
I only have a couple more inches before I'm done and will cut the steek. It's WAY easier to knit colour-work in the round than having to purl.
At first I alternated yarns on the 5-stitch steek but after a while I realized I would have trouble seeing the centre stitch to cut it.
So I started a dark-light-dark-light-dark steek pattern.  It will be much easier to cut up the middle dark stitches.
This pattern uses the 9 'natural' colours of sheep's wool. It is very nice yarn to work with. These are the 'yowes' (ewes) and
these are the rams.
When I first started knitting, I used my customary technique of knitting with a colour in each hand. The fabric was a bit tighter than I would have liked. In the meantime, I remembered that it is better to knit colour-work inside out so the floats are at their maximum. I also decided to knit throwing both colours with the right hand but keeping the lighter colour uppermost and the darker colour lower, never twisting the two yarns or anchoring the floats. This yarn is 'sticky' enough that with use, the floats will felt/stick down and not catch on things.

Another good thing about knitting colourwork in the round is being able to change colours in the middle of the steek. After picking up the stitches all around and knitting the doubled garter stitch border, I will tack the border down, concealing all the yarn ends. I won't have to weave any in. Yay!!!
One of my knitting groups wants me to cut the steek in front of them but I'm so close to being ready to do it, I don't think I can wait 'til the end of the month.

I'll take lots of pics when that time comes.

I was recently inspired by a double knitting tutorial to knit some hot pads for the glass table on our deck. I just used dishcloth cotton and whipped this up in a couple of hours.
I also practiced the tubular bindoff. I just need to figure out how to do a tubular cast-on with the two colours. It's not the most even knitting I've ever done but it will be very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment