Monday 19 August 2013

Fish Lips Kiss Heel

Mo and I were chatting the other night as we sat and knit. She told me about a cool short row heel technique she had just learned about called the Fish Lips Kiss Heel developed by the Sox Therapist. It is supposed to be easy and not use traditional wraps yielding no holes or gaps.

I have done a couple of short row heels but never successfully enough to adopt it as my 'go to' heel style. Instead, I usually default to my preferred 'eye of partridge' heel flap.

Last night I bought the instructions from the Sox Therapist's Ravelry store for the princely sum of $1 US - a paltry sum for all her years of research and development.

I had no trouble following her instructions and within a few minutes I had a perfect short row heel! Woo hoo!
Why is it called a Fish Lips Kiss heel? Off the foot and looking straight on, it looks like how we suck in our cheeks to simulate fish lips. Do you see it?
I'm about 1/3 of the way finished the foot of the first Pavillion Sock. I'm loving Mo's pattern and the colours and feel of the Kidazzle yarn.

It took me a long time before I could find the perfect pattern for this multi-coloured yarn. Anything lacy would have been dominated by the stripes in the pattern. But a nice, textured pattern works very well.

4 comments:

  1. I'm having the worst time trying to understand this pattern. Everyone seems to like it. I have probably 50+ years of knitting experience. I've done it all,and have no problem following patterns. So, is there a full tutorial somewhere besides the Sox therapist's that gives more detail? I did download her pattern, but I'm lost. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What part of it do you not understand? There's a great group on Ravelry that answered my questions for me.

      Delete
  2. I agree, I adore this pattern! Just finished my first pair of socks with it and I'm so impressed. Great yarn choice for your sock, btw.

    ReplyDelete