Friday 1 February 2019

Last Night I Knit a Sleeve

I started a sleeve on Scooter's Riddari on Tuesday night at spinning. Unfortunately there wasn't enough contrast between the light grey yarn and the white in the colourwork so I made the executive decision to exchange the light grey yarn for a darker colour.

Yesterday I ventured northward again to Myrtle Station Wool to do the exchange. I also swapped out the ball of dark blue as I found a ball of the denim-coloured yarn in my stash that I will use instead.

I'm knitting the Small size but cast on for a Medium-sized cuff. I knit a whole sleeve last night.
Again, I placed stitch markers on round 1 of the 7 rounds to indicate the increase round. It is then a simple task to count up to the desired number of stitches before knitting straight to the underarm.

Skip and I did a bit of running around today after going out for breakfast. Our microwave oven made some very scary noises so we decided to replace it. We comparison shopped at a couple of places and ended up bringing one home almost identical (make, model, size, features) as the other one.

Now that we are ensconced back at home, I will begin the second sleeve. I may have mentioned it before, but I always knit sleeves first. It doesn't take long to get to the knitting where the gauge can be checked and it's not a lot to frog if some adjustment is needed. This will be the 4th sweater I'm knitting with this yarn and needles so I know I get the called-for gauge of 18 sts/10cm. I still do the math to calculate which size I'll knit from the pattern by multiplying my gauge per inch by the chest size I want.

On Skip's Afmaeli, it wasn't as wide as I'd planned but after the firm, wet blocking, the stitches smoothed out, the fabric loosened a bit, and the sweater fit perfectly.

Now back to my knitting...

No comments:

Post a Comment