Saturday 18 April 2020

Even More Masks, an FFO, and a Booze Run

My sweatshop (sewing/dining room) has been a very active place lately. I made some more face masks with a new pattern. They fit more snugly around the face.
Then I found an even better fitting pattern. I'll link it if I can find the pattern again. On the suggestion of a couple of friends, I cut 1" strips of t-shirt fabric, stretched out the strips and cut them to the desired length the elastic would be. I still have lots of elastic in my stash but wanted to try something easier on the ears. Here’s one pattern I used.
The t-shirt fabric worked great and will be using it exclusively from now on.

I made Skip model one as well.
As these and most other homemade masks aren't virus-proof, I didn't make an opening for additional filter material. There is a version of this, however, that does leave a pocket for a filter if desired.

I put in an order with Fabricland. They are offering curbside pickup at some of their stores. Elastic isn't available at all so I'm glad the t-shirt material is working well as a substitute. I did order a bunch of interfacing and double-fold bias tape. I got the call today with a pickup time on Monday at the Pickering store.

I grafted the two ends of the sock yarn blanket together.
Then I started twisting the fringe on one end. I have a bit of evening out to do. I should have trimmed all the ends to one length first.
So that is what I have done on the other end; trimmed the ends to one length in prepaaration for twisting.
I am only using two clips on my Leclerc fringe twister, with two strands in each.
Twirl clockwise, counting the number of twists, and use that number for each fringe.
 Remove from the clips, hold together, and tie an overhand knot on the ends.
Smooth down the strands and it will twirl counterclockwise to balance the fringe.
 It's pretty mindless so have been able to do it whilst watching YouTube videos.

Today I finally remembered to watch 'The Show Must Go On' on YouTube. Andrew Lloyd Webber is offering one of his musicals each week from 7pm GMT time (2pm Eastern) on Friday for 48 hours. I forgot to watch 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat', and another which escapes me now. This weekend is 'The Phantom of the Opera'. It was the 2010 performance from Royal Albert Hall. I particularly enjoyed the after show where the original cast came out and Sarah Brightman sang the title song. She was then joined by 4 previous Phantoms including Colm Wilkinson (be still my heart) singing "Music of the Night".

I'm not sure what will be on next weekend. It is a fundraiser for The Actors Fund "which provides emergency financial aid to help cover essential medication costs and basic living expenses to those affected by COVID-19".

This morning I lined up outside our local liquor store before it opened so I would be able to get in and out in fairly short order. They let the first 10 customers in first then let us in one at a time as people left. There were arrows on the floor to have traffic flow in one direction and so people wouldn't have to pass each other in an aisle, thus violating 2m social distancing.

In the picture, you can see the masking tape strips, indicating the safe distancing for those in line. I was able to get in within about 10 minutes of opening time. I entertained myself in line using the liquor store WiFi. It was nice standing in the sun, sheltered from the north wind.
I don't remember the last time I bought that much booze. We had pretty much consumed all our wine and I've almost finished all the Baileys and Jamesons whisky (for Irish coffee). I tossed in a 6-pack of beer, too. Then for fast food takeout and then home to eat it. That was my big outing in under an hour.

Aside from not being able to go out shopping whenever we want or eating out whenever we want, our lives haven't changed that much. We are spending way less money by shopping less and eating at home more. However, that means we're cooking more which neither of us really likes to do. We are very fortunate in almost every other way. We've been together almost 24/7 since we left for south Texas on January 27. And we still really like each other.

So fortunate...

No comments:

Post a Comment