Saturday 4 April 2020

Worst. Instructions. Ever.

When I attended the Rio Grande Valley Quilt Show in February, I purchased a little kit for a conference nametag/bag. It came with the fabric and dome fastener to make a little bag with a window for a nametag and a pocket for pens. It has a strap for around the neck or over a shoulder.

I pulled the kit out to make yesterday and discovered the worst instructions ever. All the fabrics had been cut out so by process of elimination, I figured out what piece was what. I then raided my stash for a contrasting fabric as I didn't want it all in the one colour. After finally figuring out how to put the thing together, I got it done.

The floral fabric was from my stash. Here, the pocket is open.
Pocket is closed. I still need to attach a fastener. Not sure if I'll use the dome fastener or velcro or plastic snaps.
There's a vinyl window on the bottom.  I took the opportunity to use a decorative stitch. My machine has about 60 of them. This 'leaf' stitch is great for stitching on the width of grain as it is a bit stretchy.
Lots of room for writing implements or a mobile phone.
On the back is a 'secret' pocket for a room key or credit card.
I also used the leaf stitch on the double-fold strap as it is width of fabric and straight stitches would 'pop' with any stretching.

She had dozens of kits there for sale at the show. I bought this one because I thought that after the first one, I could make lots more.  I'm going to write the instructions properly for myself so next time I decide to make one, I'll be able to get right to cutting the fabric and sewing.

A beginning sewist would have a heck of a time trying to figure out her instructions. I toyed with the idea of sending good instructions to the designer but I figured that might be perceived negatively so I'm not going to do it.  There's no website, only an email address. I'm just going to let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment