Sunday 12 April 2020

Making More Masks and Bad Hair

I’ve been making more masks. I’ve given several away and have a few on hand for when I go out shopping.

Some have an outer fabric of quilting cotton and a lining of percale from a cut up pillowcase.

I also added fusible interfacing to this one but it did make it a bit harder to breathe.
 This one only had the two layers of fabric - no interfacing.

Today I made a couple like this completely following the Hobby Lobby instructions and using only one larger piece of fabric.
This pattern is quite a bit faster than using an outer and lining fabric and yields the same result. I’m still cutting wide elastic into narrower pieces. Only the outer strand of elastic comes loose so far.

My healthcare guru says I should wash my hands before putting on the mask. And sanitize them before taking it off. Then put the mask in a ziplock bag to bring home for washing. If I have a couple of stops to make when I’m shopping, I use a different mask for each, sanitizing my hands before and after using the mask. That’s why I have made several for myself.

They don’t offer a tremendous amount of protection from the virus but do prevent me from breathing ‘moistly’ on any folks, even though I’m trying my best to observe the 2m distance. All of my masks have a place to insert filters which I have not done yet. I don’t have any HEPA fabric or filters but I guess anything could provide a bit of extra protection.

As for using gloves, I highly recommend not bothering except for one-surface use, like pumping gas. If you wear them after touching one potentially contaminated surface, they do protect your hands (as long as you remove them properly) but will contaminate any other surfaces you touch, including your face if you slip up. If you do use gloves, peel them off so the inside is out and THROW THEM IN THE GARBAGE. ‘Nuf said.

I trimmed my bangs the other day but haven’t ‘feathered’ them yet. And we don’t even want to talk about my roots. I’m not ready to allow my hair to go to its natural colour; maybe when I turn 70. No one is seeing me now anyway so I’ll touch up the roots as soon as we’re allowed to go out in public.  I don’t think Skip is getting used to my ‘skunk’ stripe, though.

I cut Skip’s hair a couple of weeks ago and went too short on the top. Next time I give him a trim, I’ll only have to do the sides and his neck. Hairdressers and nail artists will be working flat out once we are able to resume somewhat normal activities.

I have been enjoying my video chats with my various groups. I haven’t seen any of them in person since mid-January when we left for the south. Seeing them online every week or so sure has filled in the gap.

Stay home and stay safe!

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment