Sunday, 9 August 2026

Distracting Myself

I had the urge to do some sewing today - wanting to make up another of the Lori Holt zippy bags from a panel. But the two remaining bigger bags from the panel I had didn't really appeal to me in spite of the fact I had new vinyl and fusible fleece to cut into. I set them aside and started rooting through a container with random stitchery items. 

I happened upon a couple of spools of Sulky Petites thread and decided to start another Wildflowers Hearts scissor case. The free chart designed by Caroline Strickler can be found here

I've used this square design for several triangular scissor cases:



Rather than the Caron Wildflowers and Waterlilies threads, any embroidery floss can be used. I'm using 28ct linen and instead of two strands of floss, am using one strand of the Sulky Petites. (I much prefer not to stitch with two strands).
I really like stitching this pattern. There is a satisfying number of specialty stitches and it quickly and easily makes into a scissor case. The centre square of hearts can also be stitched separately for a scissor fob.

Supplies have arrived for a project for which I have been commissioned; sparkly bakeable sculpting clay and tapestry needles:
In crochet news, I have 110 lanterns sewn together,

and 49 more completed. Less than ten to go for the original size. However, there is TONS of yarn left over so I'll probably do at least one more column of 11 and column of 10. And, of course, the corresponding half-lanterns to even out the top and bottom.

Update!! I just corrected my arithmetic and I have enough lanterns knitted!! In fact, there's one extra. The pattern calls for 158(8 columns of 11 and 7 columns of 10) and I've done 159.  Now to do the 14 half lanterns and probably another 21 to add an extra two columns of 21 lanterns (and two more half lanterns). It's amazing how much one can do while watching TV. My latest binge is 'The Good Doctor' on Netflix which I never watched when it was first run.

The leftover yarns make excellent sweaters for my little bears and kitties. I have another girl bear I want to do for someone before our next guild stitch day.

I have sent Bertram to live with his new friend, John. I (and ChatGPT) made a little photo of him reading to Bertram from his new book, 'The True North Talks':
In his book, John examines the legal, social, and human consequences of Québec's separation from the rest of Canada in the format of an action-driven political novel. It is available from Amazon.

And finally, I have been invited for an overnight at a friend's cottage near Wasaga Beach so will start packing for that after stitching tomorrow. I'm taking a bear to knit, a scissor case to stitch, and some lanterns to crochet and sew into a blanket. That should keep my hands busy between sips of adult beverages, relaxing on the beach, and eating good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment