Friday 20 July 2007

Chewy's Getting Big!

I got a big surprise today when I was cleaning out the mayonnaise jar and giving the caterpillars new milkweed leaves. Chewy has gotten huge! He's almost an inch long now. The other Chewys are thriving as well. I think a little one even hatched from an egg I had put in there attached to a leaf.

We are going away next week so I'm trying to figure out how to get them fresh milkweed daily. Also they leave a lot of droppings (frass) . The neighbour who is feeling Ollie has agreed to look after Chewy and his colleagues so he'll do whatever I ask him to do. We certainly have lots of milkweed to feed them. I may just pick some stems with leaves on it and put them in water so they stay fresh. I had planned to dig up a plant but it might be too big for a container. I'll figure something out.

On the knitting front, I got the Baby Surprise Jacket pattern in the mail yesterday and started it using the yarn left over from Skip's Aran sweater. It might not be the greatest for a baby's sweater but it's mostly so I can get the hang of the pattern. I checked online for some clarification about the pattern and now think I understand how it goes. It's an Elizabeth Zimmerman design originally published in 1968. Pictures to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment