Wednesday 9 July 2008

Baby Hat

I knit the baby hat from "One Skein" today (Tuesday).

The 12 row stitch pattern on the edge is an 18 stitch pattern called 'umbrella pattern'.








I just happened to have the book checked out from the public library. Wasn't that lucky? It was a quick knit. Probably could be completed in 2 hours of uninterrupted knitting. Now I can send the sweater and hat off before Chloe grows out of them.

We had two monarch butterfly eggs hatch today. I'm calling the caterpillars Alpha and Beta. I brought three other eggs in today. I was reading my entries from last year and had forgotten that the larvae (caterpillars) grow 2000 times their size from hatchlings to when they pupate. The eggs take 4 days to hatch after they've been laid. It will take 2 to 3 weeks before they pupate.

Today we had visitors back to the feeder. A male and female American goldfinch (carduelis tristis) partaking at the same time.


She is visible on the left. His tail feathers are just visible on the right as he sits on the perch on the feeding hole just above and behind her (click on the picture for a better look).













Pardon the glare - I was shooting this between Venetian blinds* through the kitchen window.







* Q: How do you make a Venetian blind?
A: Poke him in the eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment