Monday 21 July 2008

Back to the Blog

Scooter, Skip and I spent the weekend in Port Huron, MI just across the Bluewater Bridge and St. Clair River at the mouth of Lake Huron from my hometown, Sarnia, ON. We were able to stay for free with my accumulated Choice Privileges points which was a real bonus. Our room had a somewhat erratic wireless Internet connection but we persevered. Upon our arrival on Friday afternoon, we checked in and then went for dinner at the Red Pepper Restaurant - a Mexican restaurant I had never been to. There are two locations - one on 24th St. south of Griswold and the other in a plaza across from the Kroger on Krafft up Pine Grove. The one still on the map on 24th in Fort Gratiot has closed. The food was inexpensive and tasty. Their tamales were excellent. We would definitely eat there again. As I was trying to fall asleep that night, I realized I had consumed two caffeinated drinks with dinner and was 'buzzing'. At about 2am I got up and recommenced knitting my 4-cable-wide Palindrome scarf whilst sitting on the toilet seat in the bathroom. I went back to bed at about 3 and finally fell asleep at about 4:30.

The next morning I dropped Skip and Scooter off at Leaning Tree Golf Course and returned to Port Huron to shop. At JoAnn Fabrics I bought the Leisure Arts' "50 Fabulous Knit Stitches" by Rita Weiss with the 40% off one item coupon they give you in the store. I also purchased some inexpensive black acrylic yarn to knit the Counterpoint scarf - look under 'My Patterns'. I have lots of white acrylic yarn in my stash that I'll be happy to use up. I then proceeded to my favourite clothing store, Christopher and Banks and bought two summer tops and a pair of stretch denim capris on sale. Then I went to Mary Maxim and looked at a few things. I bought a couple of square craft frames for two cross-stitch projects I've finished and some Noro Iroha yarn that was deeply discounted as well as couple of balls of Creme de la Creme cotton yarn to knit a couple more petal bibs.

After heading back to pick up the guys, we all had lunch in the clubhouse and journeyed back to Port Huron to do more shopping.

We had supper at Cracker Barrel where I consumed a non-caffeinated diet Stewart's root beer. Consequently, I slept a lot better that night.

The next morning, we returned to Leaning Tree with the intention of playing a round of 9-holes but it continued to drizzle so dejectedly we drove back to Port Huron to spend a couple of hours at Barnes and Noble (the US clone of Chapters/Indigo). I bought a couple of knitting books, "Learn To Knit" edited by Sue Whiting, a brand new book by Lisa Lloyd called, "A Fine Fleece" and Alice Starmore's "Fisherman's Sweaters". Drool, drool.

After lunch, we headed back to Canada to meet at my sister's place and then go for a family get-together at my niece's place in Camlachie. We had a nice meal and had a chance to visit while the various children played. Back at Valerie's, Skip and Scooter chilled out in the guest suite, Sleepy Hollow, while Valerie and I yakked and knit.

This morning Valerie served us a delicious breakfast and then we hit the road, arriving home at about 2pm after dropping Scooter off at his mother's place. He will return to us on Saturday.

The cat was glad to see us and the caterpillars had consumed every bit of milkweed. It didn't look like the neighbour had been in to feed them on the weekend. Ollie's tins of food where right where I left them. I'm not sure what happened there. The newspapers were shoved between our doors. Maybe he couldn't find our key? Who knows, we'll get if figured out at some point.

Sorry, no pictures right now. Hopefully tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment