Monday 8 September 2008

Old Ancestral Home

Today is our first day in the Maritimes. From Stanfield Airport we headed north and had lunch in Amherst, NS. Then we made our way to Mt. Whatley, the ancestral home of my maternal grandmother. The trusty GPS directed us right to the cemetery where I knew my great- grandparents were buried. As we got out of the car I spotted their headstone.

















Cool! I also found Aunt Emma's headstone. She was Grandma's sister and after Grandma died, she married Grandpa. So I got to see the headstone of a person I actually knew.

After that we headed to Moncton and then down the west side of the Bay of Fundy to visit the Hopewell (Flowerpot) Rocks. It was close enough to low tide that we could walk on the bottom of the bay.

















After heading back to Moncton, we headed east to Shediac, NB - the "Lobster Capital of the World".

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to find your ancestors' graves!

    I remember how much we enjoyed the Hopewell Rocks when we (Mom, Pat and I) were there 4 years ago. Very cool walking on the ocean's floor like that! And we had a good laugh at one kid who was running in the muck and ran out of his shoes -- they were mired in it. LOL!

    We also visited Shediac when we were in NB. Did you climb on the big lobster and get your photo taken?!

    ReplyDelete