Monday 21 September 2009

Spinning and Artists and Yarn, Oh My!

On Saturday, Suzanne and I ventured eastward to Port Hope for the World Wide Spin in Public Day in Memorial Park.












I only stayed about an hour but there were a dozen of us already assembled by then including Jody (Gypsy Spinner) from Lakefield and several other spinners whom I met at The Black Lamb event back in July. We discussed the Knitter's Fair that had just taken place last weekend at Bingeman's in Kitchener. Laurie Goldiuk from The Black Lamb thought it would be a great idea to have one east of Toronto, possibly at the Ajax Convention Centre (which has an adjoining hotel) sometime in the month of August as September and October are already so full with knitterly events. If you want any input or want to let Laurie know you support the concept, don't hesitate to drop her an e-mail. If the event does get off the ground, many volunteers will be needed, too.


















What does one wear to an event such as this? As much hand-knit stuff that the weather permits. I'm sporting my Must Have Cardigan and recently completed Charade socks.








After an hour or so of spinning, Suzanne and I set out to Brighton for lunch and then to take the scenic route to Prince Edward County for the 2009 Studio & Gallery Tour. We managed to get to 10 of the sites which included fibre artists, artists who worked in oils, water colours, wax, glass and other media. It was a beautiful sunny day and the temperature was perfect.

I found the towns of Bloomfield and Picton to be thoroughly delightful. They were chock full of artsy fartsy stores and galleries. I was really surprised at the traffic congestion in Picton; it was bumper to bumper in both directions. While in Picton we stopped in at Rose Haven Farm Store on Main St. There was a dazzling array of yarns including a variety of Fleece Artist and Handmaiden yarns. I managed to get out of there with only a skein of

Misti Alpaca Lace yarn that I hope to overdye,










a skein of Fleece Artist Somoko (65% Merino, 20% Kid, 10% Nylon, 5% Silk) sock yarn in my favourite jewel tones,

and the current issues of Spin-Off magazine and the Weekend Special Issue of Interweave Knits.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you agai Geri...I must get to Rose Haven again to check out her new store:)

    ReplyDelete