Saturday 26 September 2009

Spinning Mojo

I had a heck of a time spinning from the split roving last weekend because I had forgotten to bring my carding combs. I finally took some time this evening to start spinning the hand-painted Corriedale I had bought on eBay a while back.













This evening I finally sat down and prepped the yarn for spinning and things worked a lot better.

This is almost exactly half of the roving. I'll spin the other half up and ply it and I'm sure it'll look very spiffy. It is the most consistently thin yarn I've ever spun. The key was to draft the fibres a bit longer and allow more twist in the yarn.

I'm getting all geeked up about the upcoming Warkworth Guild Spin-In in Campbellford, ON on October 6, 2009 from 10 'til 3. Weather permitting, Skip and a couple of friends will drive up with me. They'll golf 18 holes while I'm spinning. If it's raining, I'll just drive up there myself and enjoy the fall colour tour.






I've also been looking at the discussion boards on Ravelry about the upcoming New York Sheep and Wool Festival October 17 and 18, 2009 at Rhinebeck, NY in the Hudson Valley about a hour south of Albany.

Skip and I attended in 2007 on a beautiful fall day. Now that I'm spinning there will be even MORE stuff that I'll be interested in seeing. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a spinning wheel in my price range that I'll be able to bring home.








Here I was posing with the roving (pun definitely intended) Blue-Faced Leicester mascot - the 2007 featured breed.

This year's featured breed is the Leicester Longwool. Maybe there'll be some Longwool roving I can bring home with me.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks to your blog, I'm learning so much about yarn.... the continuing education of me !!!!

    Nice fall colours, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spinning looks great Geri. I know you will enjoy Rhinebeck...you must take lots of pics for all us poor beggers that can't go...sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Geri, check out Hedgehog Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vickie, Why do I feel like I shamed you into posting on your blog? Hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete