Tuesday 24 November 2009

Blowout Sale!


On the GTA Fibrefaces group on Ravelry I learned about a huge private yarn sale in Toronto. Evidently, someone purchased $90,000 (wholesale) of high end wool with the intention of opening a yarn shop and then decided not to. She has entrusted Laura with selling as much of the inventory as possible and recover as much of her investment as possible.

Feast your eyes. Ooooooh, ahhhhhh!


Behind me was an entire wall of Briggs and Little yarns piled waist high all along the wall.

It's hard to see from these photos but the two of the blue hanks of yarn have sequins in them. I think they were $11.75 per skein (regular $37).

Here are some better photos.



If you are visiting the greater Toronto area any time soon and want to have a look for yourself, the yarn is located in a unit at 174 Spadina St. (a few doors north of Queen St. W.).  First, you should call Laura at 416-389-3866. Her office is located in unit #500. Arrange with her a convenient time for her to take you to where the yarn is stored and she'll take you to the yarn. She spent most of last Saturday there but is nearby on weekdays and will show you in then, too. I strongly urge you to go with projects and yardages in mind so you'll know how much to buy. There are bags of 10 balls and many colourways have multiple bags. The prices are all below retail just to get the stuff sold. Some things are deeply discounted and others not so deeply. There is lots of Briggs and Little, Lana Gatto, Lana Grossa, Mille Colori, Twilley Freedom Spirit, ToFutsies sock yarn and many other fine yarns whose names escape me right now. Laura plans to continue the sale until it is all sold. Possibly until the new year. 

I didn't go completely berserk there as I am one of those strange knitters who doesn't usually buy yarn unless I have a project in mind. I did, however, buy two balls each of two different colours of Lana Gatto Feeling (70% extrafine merino virgin wool/20% silk/10% cashmere) yarn with some neck warmers in mind and two balls of Filtes Australian Merino wool in a beautiful burgundy colour for a pair of handwarmers.


I am doing some Christmas knitting (even though I wasn't going to but the Invertible Hat got me motivated) and have already knit one Fetching hand warmer using the burgundy merino. I modified the pattern by adding a couple more cable repeats up the fingers and a bit more length to the thumb including a 1 x 1 rib before casting off. It is going to take slightly more than one ball of yarn.

The next stop was Romni Wools a few more blocks west on Queen St. I picked up some 100% Corriedale roving, some Misti Alpaca sock yarn I finally found after months of looking, and two 50g skeins of Diamond Luxury  Collection Alpaca Prima (100% alpaca) yarn.






Last week I picked up a skein of Regia Galaxy sock yarn at Myrtle Station Wool and Ferguson's. I love how it knits up into what looks like the rings of Saturn. I'm sure my grand-nephew will find them to be both cozy and 'cool'.

All of these projects are relatively quick knits and certainly completeable within a week as long as I do nothing else but knit. Sounds good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment