Friday 29 August 2014

Ruddington Socks

While sitting and knitting with Mo last night, I finished the second Ruddington sock.
I really want to start the cardigan and will have to go cardigan yarn shopping this afternoon.
I like the way Fiona has the ribbing (from the bottom of the sweater) flow into the cable pattern. Nice detail.
This 32-stitch pattern worked well for socks. I customarily use 2.25mm needles to achieve a nice, tight, wear-resistant sock fabric. For myself, I cast on between 62 and 68 sts.
Because this pattern has lots of cables, I did a 72 stitch cast-on to compensate for the tightening effect.
This was easily achieved by adding 4 stockinette stitches on either side of the leg.

This is the first time I've used Spud and Chloe Fine sock yarn and it really isn't that fine. It feels like the same thickness as Kroy sock yarn or maybe even a bit thicker. I liked it for the stitch definition  because when knitting cables one really wants them to 'pop'.

So after a few (5) false starts, the socks were a pretty quick knit once I got the tension and mis-crossed cable issues sorted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment