Friday 1 August 2014

The Perfect Fabric

The other day I was shopping at the Len's Mill Store in Guelph while Skip was golfing with his brother. I found this fabric that was perfect for my friend, Marion, who is getting ready to go to France for 2 weeks of sketching and painting and 2 weeks of sight-seeing in Paris.
When Marion travels, she carries a tin of watercolours to sketch and paint items of interest. I knew I had to make her some travel accouterments with this fabric for her upcoming trip.

I like a curved top on a cosmetic/travel bag because you can get a lot of stuff in there. I used some fusible low-loft fleece to give the bag some substance.
I had to use a large charger plate to get the right curve. Here's the other side,
I centred the lining on the paint squares .
Then, of course, I had to make a matching luggage tag. I'm getting better at the sizing of the pieces as I like to make the window the right size for a business card. Here's the inside,
and here's the outside. I didn't plan for the word 'ART' to appear. In fact the word 'HEART' was printed on the fabric. It was just lucky, I guess.
 And folded up with the loops through the buttonhole, it's concealing the name and address and ready to be affixed to the suitcase.
I was so excited, I couldn't contain myself and had to rush over to Marion's to give her the going-away treats.

She liked them! She really liked them!  It's great to have a fabric-worthy friend.

1 comment: