Thursday 4 October 2018

Katwijker Socks 2.0

I haven't done a lot of knitting this year but I did throw a sock project into my luggage when I was packing for our BC holiday. The cuff had been cast on.

Today I finished the first sock.
It's the second time I've knit this pattern as I wore through the soles of the first pair I knit 6 years ago.
I used the 'eye of partridge'* heel (see * below) and decreased to 70 sts on the foot from the heel after a 72 stitch cuff and leg.
Just a caution, this pattern consumes a lot of yarn; in this case 200 yards and 52 grams of Kroy sock yarn on a 2.5mm needle for my size 9 foot. I normally only use less than 40g of sock yarn per sock.
It's really a 4 row pattern - very easy to internalize once it is established. The pattern calls for 72 sts. but you could add an extra stitch in the 'garter stitch' part to make the leg bigger to 78 sts or simply knit the leg on larger needles.

It's a great unisex pattern.

I will cast on the second sock as I have another car trip tomorrow.

* Eye of partridge heel
Row 1: Slip1stitch purlwise, *K1, Sl1 repeat from * to end of the row, turn
Row 2: Sl1, P to end of the row, turn
Row3: Sl2, *K1, Sl1, repeat from * to the end of the row, turn
Row 4: Repeat Row 2.

Repeat these 4 rows until you have as many rows as stitches in the heel flap.

No comments:

Post a Comment