Sunday 12 May 2019

Antique Market Shopping and Cord Keeper

I have the best luck when I go to the antique market looking for a particular thing. Last time I went in search of a dish with openings around the edge to hold my scissors and found it at the first booth I saw.
Today Skip and I went just to get out of the house and I wanted to find a frog, also to hold my scissors beside my chair when I'm stitching. I lucked out! However it wasn't a frog, it was a candlestick with holes around the edge. There was a candle in it but I left it behind.
It's even better than a frog because the holes don't go all the way through so my scissors won't dig into the surface the frog is on.
I'm so pleased I found it.
Then I had the urge to sew. I found a pattern to make a cord keeper to wrap around charging cables. It was free here. I used hook and loop tape (Velcro) on the first one then hauled out my snap tool and put snaps on the other ones I made.

I fussy cut cell phone images from fabric I've had in my stash for a while.
The inside is micro USB and Lightning cable fabric. Then two buttonholes are added to thread one end through so the keeper and the cable stay together when charging.
Then they all roll up and it snaps closed. Easy peasy. So handy for travelling or generally being on the go.
I cranked a few of these out today. One other modification I did was to fuse interfacing to one of the fabrics before sewing them right sides together. I also topstitched all around closing the opening that was left for turning. The original pattern doesn't include either of those steps.

And finally - I knit another Cunningham baby blanket for my friend's second grandchild to be born in the last 10 months (the babies are cousins). The appreciative mamas knew to send a photo with the baby and the knitted item.
Baby Wyn - born July 2018. Wearing Maille cardigan and using a Cunningham blanket.
Wyn's new cousin, June, born last month wrapped in her new Cunningham blanket.
It's so nice to make things for knitworthy people. And what baby doesn't need a handknit superwash blanket?

No comments:

Post a Comment