Friday 3 May 2019

Bionic Gear Bag Prep

I started cutting out my pieces for the Bionic Gear Bag. I'm using 6 different fabrics - mostly fat quarters and a couple from 0.5m of fabric.

I'm labeling each piece with its letter name and an arrow pointing to the top of the piece as most of the fabrics are directional. I used a Sharpie on masking tape on the roll, then peeled it off, cut it, then stuck it to the appropriate piece. I was leery about using the Sharpie with the masking tape right on the fabric - in case it bled through. I pinned any duplicate pieces together (i.e. zipper pocket linings 'J', side pieces, etc.)
Here they all are cut out, labeled and ready for the interfacing. I'm using the 'Stitch' fabric for the front tray, bindings, zipper tabs,and zipper pocket interiors. I still have a bit left from the 1/2 metre Jen gave me for my birthday. The fabric that looks like random pattern pieces ('F' and 'I' below) has been in my stash for years and is a good colour match for this project. (excuse the bad lighting)
I discovered that some of my interfacing wasn't fusible so I found the Heat N Bond (TM) in my stash and made it fusible. It didn't really add much extra bulk to the interfacing.

First thing I did was sew the bottoms of the outer two pieces together as this fabric is directional. I then decided to quilt it, attaching it to some batting. Because of the batting, I didn't need to interface the exterior piece 'A'.
I used the 60 degree line on my cutting mat as a guide.
I put a pin in the centre of the centre seam then put the pin on the 60 degree line.  Then used masking tape as a guide for the first line. With the first line done, I stitched another quilt line 2" away. Then did the same in the other direction. It takes a while, uses quite a bit of thread, and narrows the piece a bit, but I like the look of it.

After getting all the pieces interfaced, I thought I'd start sewing the pieces together. It was only then I realized my yellow zipper doesn't match the yellow measuring tape fabric at all.
My progress screeched to a halt. But it was already past bedtime and I have a busy day tomorrow so I quit for the night.

This afternoon I met Barb at St. Mark's Church in Whitby to attend the quilt show. Barb had her first quilt she ever made on display. It looked great.  We admired all the beautiful quilts and voted for the ones we liked in each category. Then we enjoyed our tea and treats which were included in the admission fee.

While we were chatting Barb mentioned that some people in one of her embroidery guilds were making the BGBs and were selling them for $100 plus the cost of the materials. I can see why they'd charge so much. I just spent the last 6 hours cutting out my pieces and interfacing them and have about another 6 hours left to sew them all together. That doesn't even count all the time I spent watching the YouTube videos on the Sew Together bag.

Tomorrow Alexa, Dorota, Donna, and I are going up to the Orillia area for the Sunshine Fibre Festival at the Orillia and District Fairgrounds. I had never heard of it and certainly don't need any more fibre, but it sounded like it would be fun. While in the area, I hope to visit the quilt shop up there - Thimbles & Things. I'm hoping they sell zippers and have one that will go with my measuring tape fabric.

On the way home we may stop into Myrtle Station Wool if any of the gals are interested.

The Ultimate Sewing Centre in Oshawa is having their open house tomorrow where they will be revealing all the course projects for the summer but I don't think I'll make it back in time for that. I'll just check out their web page and possibly pop into the store next week and see what all is offered. I think I'm at the point where I can interpret a pattern and get through a project on my own with help from YouTube videos and any online commentary. However, I could be enticed by an interesting class.

No comments:

Post a Comment