Monday 21 October 2019

Organizing "Fancy Floss"

I have started accumulating quite a stash of hand-dyed floss - mostly Gentle Art Sampler Threads (GAST) and Weeks Dye Works (WDW). They're a bit unruly to use and I was starting to get a real tangled mess on my hands. Trish from my Monday morning stitching group suggested getting the snack-sized ZipLoc bags from the dollar store ($1.25 here in Canada).

I punched a hole in each bag and used a reinforcement around each hole. I wrote the colour name on each one with a Sharpie - making sure the pen marking wouldn't rub off - it doesn't.

In fairly short order I had all the GAST and WDW flosses organized.
I now keep them in this pseudo-book that I picked up at Michaels.


I have a couple of random skeins loose in the bottom from Classic Colorworks but the two rings of GAST and WDW fit nicely on top.

I'm doing another model stitch for Teresa Kogut. It arrived last Friday and I started right in on it. It has a very large red brick house in the centre that I've been working away on. The fabric is 40ct Legacy Linen that looks like it's been tea dyed. As a result it's really 42ct. I'm stitching 1 over 2.

Here are the fabric and threads. There are two skeins of almost every colour. All but two colours are hand-dyed so the dimension will be amazing.
And here are the skeins all organized.
I'm using double magnification to stitch this. The 3x magnification of my Magni-Clips  plus the 1.75x of the magnifier on my OTT lite.

I'm looking forward to getting the big house in the centre done so I can start in on the flora and fauna of the rest of the piece. It's called 'Heaven and Nature" and I think it will be a big seller for Teresa.

No comments:

Post a Comment