Tuesday 4 October 2022

A Bit About the Stitching Retreat and Hexie Update

Last Thursday I headed off the Elim Lodge for a stitching retreat with my stitcherly friends. I packed a bunch of projects that I could work on. This was one of two bunches of projects I took.

My embroidery guild has been doing stitching retreats at Elim Lodge since 1999. We usually stay in Hawthorne - a building with a big living room and newly added kitchen, 9 bedrooms, and 4 bathrooms with showers. 4 of the bedrooms are downstairs. Each of the 5 bedrooms upstairs has a little sink. Each bedroom has two twin beds but we didn't have to share a room with anyone. I generally take my own bath towel, foam pad (the beds are hard), a king duvet to roll myself up in, and my pillow. It's quite cozy and a bit of a treat not to have to share a room or a bed for a couple of nights.

We set up in the main chapel - one person to a 6 foot table.
This was my table. I sat in the empty chair at the front left. Marilyn sat to my right, then Barb, Lori Pengelly (of Pansy Patch Quilts and Stitchery) and her mom, Joan. Across the table from me was Jeanette and to her right was Yvonne.
At another juncture, I will take pics of the pieces that I worked on that I can show you. Lori gave me the chart for the next house so I worked on that most of Saturday and Sunday. 

Tonight I finished sewing together all the hexies for the quilted mat that I started a week and a half ago. At the narrowest points it measures 21 1/2" x 8".
The kit comes with the sashing for around the edge, backing fabric, and binding fabric. I hope to get it all assembled this week.

We are heading out of town on Saturday for Thanksgiving and have been invited to my niece's place for dinner on Sunday. We also plan to attend the Brigden Fall Fair which always falls on Thanksgiving weekend. The weather is supposed to be sunny all weekend and in the mid to high teens temperature-wise. I'll pack some sun screen just to be safe. Skip and I are looking forward to getting away again - having a change of scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment