Monday 17 October 2022

Frankensocks

At my niece's on Thanksgiving weekend, I took a bunch of the socks I'd knit this year to give to anyone who wanted them. 




A couple of pairs were sized for a size 10 or so man's foot but my niece's husband, Darryl, wears a size 13 so couldn't fit into either of the men's socks. My grand-niece's boyfriend, Chris, got both those pairs.

I started to knit Darryl a new pair when I realized I could just unravel the toe of the remaining pair and add a couple of inches before re-knitting and closing the toe. I even thought I had enough of the same yarn left to do this. 

Once I got the feet lengthened and the toes done, I realized the legs of the socks looked too short. so I decided to add to the legs, also.

This was not done easily as yarn doesn't unravel in the direction it was knit. It unravels backwards. But I snipped a strand part way down the leg, added yarn and knit another couple of inches in pattern (3 x 1 ribbing) then grafted the two leg pieces back together. The dilemma is grafting ribbing and when attaching the two pieces, the one piece is half a stitch over because you're grafting the peak of the stitches on the one side to the troughs of the stitches on the other side. And then there's the issue of grafting in ribbing. I decided to just graft as if both pieces were all stocking stitch.

Long story short, I ran out of yarn on the second extension and added some grey yarn to make up the difference.

Behold...

Frankensocks! You can see the insertion of the grey yarn on the leg on the left and the 1/2 stitch jogs on both legs.  

However, the important parts, the feet, are perfect. That's a nice thing about yarn, you can unravel a project and the yarn is perfectly good to knit again.

From this:                                                                        To this:

I hope to get them in the mail to Darryl soon.

Our long-awaited stitching road trip to the Hobby House Needleworks is tomorrow. I was just informed that the husband of one of the people I was stitching with this morning just tested postiive for COVID. She and I are both freaking out. She has no symptoms and as I write this, I'm waiting for the results of her rapid test...

A little while later, she tested negative but it might be too soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment