Wednesday 7 December 2022

Making Cording

I saw Vonna Pfeiffer's new video on a different way to make cording which works for very long strands. Her previous one is also very good.

I use the Kreinik cord drill she uses 


but one could also use a single beater on a hand mixer or a drill to twist the strands. I've used both quite effectively.

I wanted to make cording that looked like that two-colour butcher's cord and thought #10 crochet cotton from my stash would work well. I didn't have enough DMC floss so this was a very acceptable substitute.

Thin yarn like sock yarn would also work well.

I also had a spring clamp which I often use to anchor the block of wood into which I screwed a cup hook. This works with Vonna's older cording video instructions. For the newer technique you simply need to clamp the ends onto something with the clamp. No need for a cup hook.
I used two strands of each colour. When cranking the cording drill I count the number of turns I do on the one colour, then do the same on the other colour. When the two colours have been joined, I crank in the other direction about half the number of turns. 

In fairly short order I had made 4 long strands of bi-colour cording. Here's a little bit I snipped off after wrapping an item I'm getting ready to mail today.

I had everything on hand so didn't have to go out and buy decorative cording. If you do a lot of gift wrapping or ornament finishing, I do recommend you invest in this cording drill. 

OR

If you happen to have a fringe twister, it would also work to make cording. (pictured - Leclerc fringe twisters)
And now to head out and mail my parcels.

No comments:

Post a Comment