Thursday 17 August 2023

A Pretty Fun Day

Barb and I ventured to Uxbridge to the Quilter's Cupboard this morning. I had to pick up the long-awaited instructions from our project portfolio class we took in early June and Barb came along for the ride to buy a bit of fabric. We had a lovely time gabbing, stopping at Hy Hope Farm for coffee and treats, and to hear about her recent trip to Nova Scotia.

I started my denim shirt embroidery this afternoon.

I had printed the template onto the sticky, water soluble stabilizer but I felt the images were too small. I could have re-printed them larger but decided instead to draw them onto the yoke with a water soluble pen.

First, I stitched the stems. The instructions called for backstitching but I grew to like the look of whipped stitch backstitching so did it instead. It just smooths everything out.
The washed denim is very soft and shows holes very easily so I paused to iron in some fusible lightweight interfacing.
The leaves were done with fishbone stitch. The daisies were supposed to be done with satin stitch but I thought, "Why not do detached lazy daisies?". I filled them in with a couple of extra straight stitches. 
Then the raised centers were done with French knots. Most of the time the pattern called for 2 strands (except for the daily petals which were all 6 strands), but I added a third strand as the flowers were proportionately larger and needed more filling in.
The next flowers will go on the opposite side of the yolk.

While I was planning and executing my embroidery, Barb was cutting out and interfacing fabric for the project bags she wants to make to take to Boston at her house. Jen1 was sewing a couple of bags and a medium sized Bionic Gear bag for her travels at her house. So we crafted in tandem - quite fun sending messages and photos to each other.

I got a scheduled call from the MD who did my colonoscopy a while back. He informed me that "there is absolutely nothing wrong" with my colon and to book another colonoscopy in 10 years. He also recommended I take in more fibre and water, take a multivitamin, and get more exercise.

The next phone call was a robocall from a plastic surgeon my GP had referred me to a couple of weeks ago. I had also sent him an impassioned plea for an appointment along with my pathology report and (yucky) photos of my lesion. The electronic message was that I had an appointment on October 30 at 9am and was given a phone number to call if I wanted to change anything. I called back and cancelled the appointment. I didn't bother telling them I'd had the skin cancer removed last week. Sheesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment